oh market.


going to the farmers market is quite possibly one of my most favourite things to do. I usually go with my mum, but sometimes on my own. I have always said that my most favourite element is getting to chat to the farmers/stall holders. I always ask lots and lots of questions, about preservatives, and chemical free farming methods, or even just engage in general chit chat. I also love giving feedback, because they always really really appreciate it (and occasionally throw in a little extra something for my kindness!)

new original cards, available in my shop




last time I went however, I did have my first ever negative FM experience.. I know. Depressing. Basically I asked a stall holder selling veges if they sprayed with chemcials (a question I always ask, and if the farmer does, they usually just tell me "yes" and let me be on my way or direct me to someone who doesn't).

But this stall holder wasn't so happy with this question.

He responded with a rude "YES OF COURSE WE DO!"

I was rather taken back and went to leave and he continued.

"YOU ARE SILLY, EVERYBODY DOES. EVEN STUDPID ORGANIC PEOPLE DO. YOU HAVE TO SPRAY. YOU HAVE NO IDEA LADY".

Then the mother chirped in.

"STUPID GIRL OF COURSE WE SPRAY...."

I was in shock. And just plainly said back,
"No, there are farms that don't spray, but thank you"
My Mum; "Yes and we shall take our business elsewhere, there is absolutely no need to yell at her."

We were horrifed.
But I guess these things happen.
And we went on our way and ended up with some delicious organic veges from the sweetest lady.

But yes. It was definitely an interesting experience.
It seems like a lot more people are going to farmers markets these days (WONDERFUL!)
Have you ever had a bad experience?


On a relevant (but positive) note;
have a look at my farmers markets inspirate cards,
now for sale in my shop.

3 Comments:

  1. Jessie said...
    that is such an over the top response from that man!it's a relevant question!
    Courtney said...
    love the new prints!
    I mentioned some of your work on my blog. Hope you don't mind.

    x

    http://brazenly-obscure.blogspot.com/
    mazspazz said...
    wowsers! I can't believe people can be that rude! I think i would have started picking up his fruit and throwing it at him!

Post a Comment



Post a Comment

I always truely love to hear your thoughts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin