Posted by renee anne at 10:03 PM
I used to make these when I was a little kid. I think they are pretty sweet idea to recycle old mags, that we always seem to hoard and never seem to read. Perfect for christmas, or just for general display! I made one as apart of my christmas decorations and thought it would be nice to share. I hope you enjoy!
You will need ::
- two old magazines with a staple bound spine (not like a Frankie or Vogue with one of those thicker spines… plus, who would do that to a Frankie mag?)
- a stapler
- spray paint (optional)
1. Open the cover and take the top right corner of the first page.
2. Fold corner in a triangle shape, to align with the centre spine of the mag.
3. Take the outer edge of the fold, (where you made the crease) and fold in again like above (probably best to see picture).
4. “Turn the page”. Make sure you do press down and ensure that all folds are nice and sharp.
5. Fold the bottom corner up to align with the bottom of the magazine page (also best to see picture, and this step is optional, I wanted mine to have a flat base)
6. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for every single page of the mag. Yes. Every page. (A snack may help make this more fun).
7. Make sure you press down every so often to flatten the folds, otherwise it will be too puffy and thick.
8. When you get to the last page, fold the cover in, same technique, just opposite.
9. HALF WAY! Now get your next mag and repeat steps 2 to 8 until you have two identical half trees.
10. Staple the two front covers and the two back covers of the magazines together to create a full tree! (Sorry I don’t have a picture of this step.. sort of forgot. But that makes sense doesn’t it?)
And now you are done! If you like the natural look, you can keep it as is, or choose your favourite colour and give it a bit of a spray paint. Place it somewhere nice and admire your hard work! These are great for Christmas time, but can also look pretty sweet any time of year.
p.s. those cute little tee pees are a little gift from Amy Borrell, aren't they the cutest??
p.p.s. did you like this tutorial? would you like more tutorials? can you even understand my instructions??
p.p.p.s. "why the fudge are you reading the New England Journal of Medicine Renee??"
"oh, sorry, I work in a medical library. We always get so many spare copies, and the pile was getting too huge I had to do something about it". xoxox